In 2020, Boren Scholarship and Fellowship applicants have the opportunity to study Turkish as part in the Turkish Flagship Language Initiative (TURFLI). Boren Scholars and Fellows selected for this initiative will receive funding for intensive language study and cultural immersion, beginning with a summer 2020 domestic program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, followed by an overseas program in Baku, Azerbaijan. Please see our website for more information on the Turkish Flagship Language Initiative: https://turfli.wisc.edu
- Summer Program: The summer domestic programs will be at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, through the Arabic, Persian & Turkish Language Institute. APTLI begins on June 15 – August 7, 2020. Please see the program website for more information for students: https://medli.wisc.edu
- Overseas Program: The fall overseas programs will take place at the Azerbaijan University of Languages (AUL) centers in Baku, Azerbaijan. Dates for the overseas programs are yet to be confirmed. This program will be administered by American Councils and UW-Madison jointly. Students will be considered UW-Madison students for the duration of the overseas programs.
- Language Level: The TURFLI program is appropriate for applicants with no language proficiency, as well as those with intermediate or advanced proficiency in Turkish.
- Application: The applications for the 2020 Boren Scholarships and Fellowships are now available at www.borenawards.org.
- Undergraduate deadline: February 5, 2020
- Graduate deadline is: January 29, 2020
The Boren Awards, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study in Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East, where they can add important international and language components to their educations.
To learn more about the Boren Awards and TURFLI, to register for one of our upcoming webinars, and to access the on-line application, please visit www.borenawards.org. The schedule for webinars being held in January can be found at http://borenawards.org/webinars.html.
You can contact the Boren Awards staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-618-NSEP with questions. TURFLI staff can be contacted at TURFLI@iris.wisc.edu or via phone at 608-263-3981