What Will Classes Look Like?
Classes will meet Mondays through Fridays for a minimum of 4.5 synchronous instructional hours each day (8:30AM – 1:00PM Central Time).
Course materials will be organized in Canvas (See MyUW & Canvas tab) which is the learning management system at UW-Madison. Students may also use digital platforms such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or Webex instructor-facilitated class meetings.
All activities, whether synchronous or asynchronous, will be teacher-led, facilitated, or moderated.
Course dynamics can include:
- Synchronous all-class meetings
- Daily reflective questions
- Lectures and presentations
- Audio and video activities
- Assignments and tasks
- Student presentation and interviews
- Regular formative and summative assignments
In addition to classes, there will also be co-curricular activities to provide opportunities for language practice and use outside of class hours.
MEDLI staff and instructors are committed to students’ language learning goals and will provide support to ensure the highest quality of learning experience possible.
What does MEDLI expect from me?
- Daily attendance in class
- Your full effort in learning a language, synchronously, asynchronously, and through after-class assignments and study
- Respect and courtesy toward your instructors and classmates
- Promptness in dealing with administrative matters (registration, payment, etc)
- Openness to participating in MEDLI events
What should I expect from MEDLI?
- Assistance and encouragement to learn your chosen language
- Well-prepared lessons and class activities
- Respect and empathy for the difficulties of learning a language, and the added challenge of learning in the remote environment
- Engaging and inspiring co-curricular activities
- Openness and promptness in dealing with student problems and concerns