International Students

Visa Information

International students must obtain an short-term visa in order to attend MEDLI. International participants are encouraged to apply early to MEDLI to allow enough time for visa processing. F-1 visa holders may enter the U.S. 30 days before the start of MEDLI on June 20 and could stay as long as 60 days after the program ends August 12 (Note: The entry process for Canadian citizens is different than for citizens of other countries.)

Flags from around the world on a table

Examples of Common Visa Situations:

  • A non-US citizen (including Canadian citizens) is currently in a degree program at a U.S. institution. This student has an F-1 visa for their study at their home institution. Most likely, this same F-1 visa can be used to study at MEDLI.
  • A non-U.S. citizen is currently enrolled in a degree program outside of the U.S. This student will need to obtain a visa for their summer study at MEDLI. UW-Madison will assist with the visa application process. We encourage these applicants to submit their MEDLI as soon as possible. 
  • A U.S. citizen is enrolled in a degree program outside of the U.S. This student will not need to process any extra paperwork to study at MEDLI.

Receiving Your “I-20” Form

For the F-1 visa you will require an I-20 form from UW-Madison. In order to receive your I-20 you must demonstrate financial means to cover:

  • MEDLI Tuition
  • Room and board
  • Health Insurance

Once you receive your I-20, you must apply for the F-1 visa stamp at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Please contact the MEDLI Coordinator for information regarding where to send your financial support documentation.  This can be a lengthy process, so please start as soon as possible.

Health Insurance for International Students

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has mandated that all international students and their dependents residing in this country be enrolled in the UW-Madison’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). International students attending MEDLI will either need to enroll in the UW Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) or provide a waiver.

International students should be sure to check their email address (or have it forwarded to another account) for any insurance- or visa-related communications from UW-Madison.

For further information, please contact the SHIP Program, University Health Services, (608)-265-5232.