Tuition for the MEDLI Summer 2023 session is set at $5,000 (the session is now over).* This cost includes tuition, student fees, segregated fees, and expenditures for cultural events. Tuition charged to MEDLI students is based on standard UW-Madison summer tuition rates. This does not include the cost of textbooks, living expenses, health insurance, or the new student document fee.
*UW-Madison Undergraduate Resident Students and Undergraduate Minnesota Resident Students who are already enrolled in a degree-seeking program at UW-Madison at the time of their study at MEDLI pay the regular undergraduate tuition for 8 credits as posted on the UW Bursar’s Office Website . If one of these categories applies to you, please let us as soon as possible so that MEDLI can ensure that you are charged the correct tuition amount.
New Students: A new student transcript fee will be charged by UW-Madison to any student who has never taken a course at UW-Madison. The fee is $130 and will be assessed only one time per student, with the benefit of unlimited transcript orders. If you have already taken a course at UW-Madison, you should not have to pay the fee. For more information, click https://registrar.wisc.edu/documentfee/.
MEDLI Application Fee: All applicants must pay the $25 non-refundable application fee to be considered for admittance.
It is our goal to make MEDLI as affordable as possible. If the application fee or new student document fee are a hardship, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your case.
After being admitted to MEDLI and registering for summer classes at UW-Madison, students receive an electronic tuition bill from the Bursar’s Office. Payments are made directly to the Bursar, via check, electronic bank transfer or credit card. The tuition payment deadline is listed on the email bill – there is a $100 fee for late tuition payments.
* WISLI summer language institutes, which includes MEDLI, do not accept Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA) Grants, but encourage students to attend on their own or using other sources of funding.
Important things to remember:
- Student bills will be accessible through your MyUW account (opens in new tab then click the ‘Financial’ tab). Payment is done through the University of Wisconsin-Madison Office of the Registrar Bursar’s Office. If you have questions regarding payment procedures, deadlines, and notifications, the office can be reached directly at: email@example.com. You may also contact Student Accounts and Cashiering at (608) 262-3611.
- Segregated Fees grant access to the campus gyms, libraries, free student bus pass, university health center (not health insurance), and purchasing beverages at the student union.
- MEDLI is an 8-week session and all students must enroll for the full session. All students will be billed for the full 8-week session at the start of MEDLI and no refunds will be issued after the first Friday of classes.
- MEDLI does not allow students to audit courses.
- MEDLI does not accept Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA) Grants.
- If someone will be sponsoring you to attend MEDLI (i.e. paying your tuition), please visit the 3rd-Party Payments page.
- MEDLI tuition does not include external fees for room and board. Though these costs can vary widely, we encourage students to budget approximately $500-700 per month to support their language studies.
MEDLI offers non-standard courses, and some of our policies differ from those of UW-Madison, specifically those relating to course drop and refund deadlines. Please read the information below and contact us prior to the start of the program with any questions.
- Though MEDLI spans two semesters of classes, all tuition payments and refunds are processed during the first week of the first semester of the program.
- No tuition/fee refunds will be issued after the first Friday of classes. Through the first Friday of classes, MEDLI will honor a 100% refund. As of the first Saturday of the program, no further refunds will be issued.
- Students must receive a passing grade in their first semester at MEDLI (in either a 1st, 3rd, or 5th semester course) in order to move to the second half of the program. No refunds will be issued for students missing a portion of the program due to academic dismissal.
- MEDLI does not issue refunds on the $25 application fee except in the case where the class applied to was cancelled by MEDLI.
- All payments for program fees are due to the University of Wisconsin-Madison by the first Friday of classes.
- If a student encounters an emergency and must leave MEDLI, they must contact MEDLI administration before leaving, or may lose all of the program fee.
It is the student’s responsibility to understand these policies. If you have any questions about refunds or payments, please contact the MEDLI office